The Young Leadership Programme on Forest-Based Bioeconomy: Focus on Russia is aimed at young professionals working in the research and development, governance, administration or business side of the forest sector, or a related area. The 5-day programme offers a unique opportunity for young professionals with leadership potential to learn about the emerging opportunities and challenges facing forest-based bioeconomy in Russia, interact with a network of global peers and experts, and share practical experience through group exercises. This year’s YLP runs from 28 November - 2 December 2016 in Joensuu, Finland.
The YLP programme is aimed at emerging leaders from the research and development, governance, administration or business side of the forest sector or a related area (e.g. natural resources management, environmental policy, climate change, energy, bioeconomy), who are working in or with Russia.
Participants will share practical experience and work together to develop the types of leadership skills and collaborative solutions that translate knowledge into effective action.
Participants on the YLP will:
- learn about the science-policy-business framework affecting the development of the Russian forest sector and its potential for bioeconomy
- advance their interdisciplinary knowledge and analyse trade-offs to understand the opportunities and challenges of the Russian forest sector and its role in bioeconomy
- explore innovative policies, technologies and institutions that promote the sustainable development of the forest sector in Russia and its contribution to the bioeconomy
- strengthen their skills in communication, collaborative leadership and facilitating multi-stakeholder processes
- experience cross-cultural and cross-sectoral learning with peers from Russia and beyond, creating a lasting network
- interact with local experts in Joensuu, the most important knowledge hub on Russian forest sector outside Russia as well as pilot region to explore bioeconomy principles in Finland.
A supplementary programme module for this year’s YLP is planned to take place in Russia, tentatively on 4-8 December 2016. This module will focus on ensuring SFM in Russia. It will include field visits to forest industry enterprises as well as key lectures and discussions with major stakeholder groups in the Russian forest sector. This programme module is expected to be confirmed later in June 2016.
More information on the programme and application process is available at the YLP website, here. The Young Leadership Programme is organized jointly by the European Forest Institute, Natural Resources Institute Finland, University of Eastern Finland, City of Joensuu and Regional Council of North Karelia, Finland.